“Ohhh the weather outside is frightful…” I can hear it already, make it stop 😖.
While the winter in the DMV is always miserable, this year I’m making it my mission to encourage everyone to get up and get out! Stop complaining how cold it is and start making the best of it. Below are a few fun activities to do in the winter.
Yes, these actually require you to leave your bed and get out the house. I promise that after being outside for at least 30 minutes your body will be so numb you won’t even feel the cold *enter sarcastic smerk*.
- Ice Skating – One of the top activities to do in the winter is ice skating outdoors. The Washington Harbor is hands down the prettiest place to go. The rink opens on November 11th and runs through March. Enjoy the views of the waterfront and watching planes land at the nearby airport.
- Enjoy the winter/Christmas lights – DC is a beautiful place during the holidays. With lights and other festivities going on, taking a stroll around the monuments is definitely worth it.
- Snowboarding/Skiing – Definitely one of my goals this winter. Hopefully, Tasha is good enough to teach me the basics. If you’re in the DMV area, check out Snowshoe in West Virginia.
- Build a bonfire and make s’mores – Call the squad over and dish some dirt while sipping some hot cocoa and eating s’mores.
- Travel somewhere warm – Escape the cold by traveling to an island or somewhere in U.S that’s warm. Also, flights tend to be cheaper during this time since winter is mostly an off-season.
- Zoo lights at the Smithsonian National Zoo – Starting November 25th, join the thousands of visitors at the Smithsonian National Zoo to listen to live music, enjoy tasty treats, and explore the beautiful lights. It is located just a short walk from the Woodley Park and Cleveland Park metro stations on the red line. Did I mention that it’s FREE!
- Snowball fight – DuPont Circle in Washington, DC is said to be the most epic snowball fight ever! With hundreds in attendance, people from all over the DMV come to smack you in the face with ice cold, chill down your spine, snowballs. Check out their Facebook page for updates and scheduled events.
- Movies – Nowadays movies theaters have revamped their seating arrangements with better leg room and recliner seats. Grab a bag of popcorn, lay back, and enjoy a couple movies.
- Bowling – One of my favorite things to do, since I was a little girl, is to go bowling with my family. These days they have places like Bowlmor and Luck Strike where adults can enjoy a late night out bowling and drinking with friends. The atmosphere is practically like a bar – large projector screen at the end of the lanes for sports and music videos, fully stocked bar, pool tables, arcades, loud music, etc. Most places open until 2am over the weekend. Do you have a large group? Ask for their VIP room.
- Shopping – Because why not take advantage of the holiday sales?
- Arcade (Dave and Busters) – Who says you’re too old to be a kid? Have some fun and loosen up.
- Catch up on the latest novel – The new year is quickly approaching. Start engaging in helpful readings that could better your future.
- Workout – You’ve got, let’s say, 4-5 months to get summer ready. This is not the time to be lazy. Remember, summer body is made in the winter, not a month before.
- Bake a pie from scratch – Mouth watering, ooey gooey goodness. Nothing beats a homemade pie with vanilla bean ice cream.